Finance and Operations Coordinator at Nekton Foundation
Jobs offer for Finance and Operations Coordinator at Nekton Foundation. Nekton’s mission is to rapidly accelerate our scientific understanding and protection of the ocean for people and the planet. We work for the ocean. Nekton is a UK-registered charity based in Oxford, UK.
Table of contents
- THE ROLE
- WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- Detail About Finance and Operations Coordinator at Nekton Foundation
- Responsibilities and Tasks Finance and Operations Coordinator at Nekton Foundation
- Attributes Finance and Operations Coordinator at Nekton Foundation
- HOW TO APPLY for Finance and Operations Coordinator at Nekton Foundation
- Frequently Asked Questions
A UK-registered charity based in Oxford, London, and New York, Nekton is launching a series of major expeditions into the deep ocean using the latest submersibles and deep sea technology to carry out a health check on the ocean. Our Missions provide the scientific data and media content to amplify ocean prioritization, accelerate ocean literacy and inform and catalyze marine protection. Through our expeditions, technology development, ground-breaking research, published discoveries, broadcast films, and high-profile communications
Nekton is actively searching for a Finance and Operations Coordinator to join our dynamic team to support the Head of Finance, Management team, and wider team leaders, working predominantly on a new international program. The role is an interesting blend of finance, HR, and operations, and recognizing that it is not a pure finance role, it would be best suited to someone who enjoys a wide variety of duties across different areas of operations. This is an exciting opportunity for an organized professional who enjoys a hands-on approach and would be excited to be part of a new program from the outset.
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
As a Finance and Operations Coordinator for Nekton Foundation, the ideal candidate will manage the organization’s financial activities and ensure smooth operational efficiency. The primary responsibilities include managing budgets, tracking expenses, and preparing financial reports.
The candidate must work closely with the finance team and other stakeholders to ensure timely and accurate financial reporting. They will also need to have a solid understanding of financial principles and be able to analyze financial data to identify areas of improvement.
The ideal candidate for this position should have a bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, or a related field and at least 2 years of experience in a similar role. Strong communication and organizational skills are essential, as is the ability to work effectively independently and as part of a team.
We need a team player who wants to grow, understands the big picture, and can contribute to its creation. Someone who wants to help create an organization that is diverse and inclusive, respects all views and genuinely believes that talent is universal in a world where opportunity has not always been equally distributed.
Nekton’s success is based on being inspiring and trusted explorers, scientists, and storytellers. You will be instrumental in the next stage of that journey, including being an important voice of Nekton in telling the ocean story in creative ways that inform, educates, and entertains.
Detail About Finance and Operations Coordinator at Nekton Foundation
- Start: As soon as possible from 1 April 2023
- Location: Hybrid working, including days at central Oxford HQ
- Salary: Competitive based on skills and experience.
- Contract: Permanent, full-time
- Reporting to: Head of Finance
- Working with: All teams
Responsibilities and Tasks Finance and Operations Coordinator at Nekton Foundation
The Finance and Operations Coordinator reports to the Head of Finance for finance, insurance, HR, and data management matters. The role reports to other management as necessary and liaises with team leaders of working groups and operations, the outsourced bookkeeping and accounting service provider, the program’s insurance brokers, and logistical services providers when required. Key responsibilities include
- Check and code purchase invoices, expenses, and credit card payments.
- Ownership of purchase order process and purchase daybook, ensuring current commitment log.
- Check payment runs.
- Set up accounts receivable invoice requests for approval.
- Liaise closely with outsourced bookkeeping and accountants to ensure efficient and accurate processing. Set up monthly journals for staff costs and overhead allocations.
- Manage and maintain the Asset Register, including movements of assets across programs.
- Update and maintain a central budget and forecast spreadsheets.
- Prepare information and attend monthly finance meetings with team leaders.
- Prepare monthly project reports for team leaders and management and assist with finance-related queries as required.
- Work with the Head of Finance to monitor and review variances between forecasts, budgets, and month-end accounts.
- Prepare financial information as required for program audits.
- Assist with providing year-end information as required for Nekton’s annual external audits.
- Assist with file management.
- Support the Head of Finance with financial analysis and ad hoc work as required.
HR and Recruitment
- Assist with recruitment administration and onboarding for new starters.
- Draft agreements for consultants and contractors
- Administration of vendor agreement
- Provide relevant information for setup, review, and renewal of insurance policies.
- Manage and maintain appropriate records of insurance and master spreadsheet.
- Assist wider operations with logistics coordination and shipping.
- Assist with resolving operational queries.
Administration and Data Management
- Coordinate and support Management team administration, including travel, as required.
- Office management, including maintenance of document system on program server and responsible for storing all documents securely and in compliance with GDPR.
- Other administrative support where required.
Attributes Finance and Operations Coordinator at Nekton Foundation
- A confident, proactive, and independent self-starter can work quickly, flexibly, and responsively in a fast-changing environment.
- Highly numerate and with experience in a finance-related role.
- Confident with Microsoft Excel, including formulas, lookups, and pivot tables.
- IT literate with good knowledge of other Microsoft Office applications, particularly Word.
- Able to work using my own initiative as well as being able to follow directions from the Head of Finance and members of the Management team.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to manage multiple work areas.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to be confident and assertive in communicating with people at all levels to build good working relationships across the organization.
HOW TO APPLY for Finance and Operations Coordinator at Nekton Foundation
To apply for this position, please send your cv with a cover letter explaining why you think you would be a good fit for this role – notably including details of successful fundraising of the ocean or related environmental programs via the button below by 18:00 GMT, Tuesday 14th March 2023.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Frequently Asked Questions
The qualifications required for this position may include a degree in finance, accounting, business administration, or a related field and relevant experience in financial management and operations management. Strong communication, problem-solving, and organizational skills are also important.
The salary range for this position may vary depending on the candidate’s qualifications and experience. However, as of 2021, the average salary range for a Finance and Operations Coordinator at Nekton Foundation may be around $50,000-$70,000 annually.
Nekton Foundation may offer a range of benefits to its employees, such as health and dental insurance, retirement plans, paid time off, flexible schedules, and professional development opportunities.