Jobs offer for Business Development Manager at Nekton Foundation. Nekton’s mission is to rapidly accelerate our scientific understanding and protection of the ocean for people and the planet. We work for the ocean. Nekton is a UK-registered charity based in Oxford, UK.
Table of contents
A UK-registered charity based in Oxford, London, and New York, Nekton is launching a series of major expeditions into the deep ocean using the latest submersibles and deep sea technology to carry out a health check on the ocean. Our Missions provide the scientific data and media content to amplify ocean prioritization, accelerate ocean literacy and inform and catalyze marine protection. Through our expeditions, technology development, ground-breaking research, published discoveries, broadcast films, and high-profile communications and events, we aim to help revolutionize ocean science and conservation.
Nekton is actively searching for a Business Development Manager to lead the development of new ocean science and policy initiatives with an essential role in securing funding.
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
Nekton’s goals are audacious, so we are looking for an individual with proven experience in business development and successful fundraising within the ocean and/or environmental sector.
The role is at first for a flexible two days a week, which could extend during the initial 6month period as required to meet the strategic needs related to business development and fundraising. Subject to review after the initial period, this role could be a springboard for the right candidate into a full-time or permanent role.
Whilst the priority of the role is business development and fundraising, if appropriate and of interest to the candidate, additional operational and project management of Nekton’s operations could also be considered an extension to the scope of the initial contract.
This role will take consummate professionalism, maturity, and good humor – a ‘glass half-full person’ who can utilize in-house and outsourced resources creatively and cost-effectively to drive rapid development.
We need a team player who wants to grow, understands the big picture, and can contribute to its creation.
Someone who wants to help create an organization that is diverse and inclusive, respects all views and genuinely believes that talent is universal in a world where opportunity has not always been equally distributed.
Nekton’s success is based on being inspiring and trusted explorers, scientists, and storytellers. You will be instrumental in the next stage of that journey, including being an important voice of Nekton in telling the ocean story in creative ways that inform, educates, and entertains.
Detail About Business Development Manager at Nekton Foundation
- Start: From April 2023 (when available)
- Location: UK or international are both considered (hybrid working including at Oxford HQ if UK based)
- Salary: Competitive based on experience
- Contract: 2 days + a week, 6 months fixed term (with the possibility of permanent extension)
- Reporting to Chief Executive
- Working with the Principal Scientist, Head of Finance, and Communications Manager
Responsibilities and Tasks in Business Development Manager at Nekton Foundation
- Reporting to Chief Executive and providing progress reports to the Board.
- Providing strategic, financial, and operational leadership for business development and fundraising.
- Working with the Principal Scientist and Head of Finance to develop programs for fundraising.
- Led all fundraising activities with philanthropists, grant-giving foundations, public and private sector grants, and business sponsors/partners.
- As appropriate to the candidate: day-to-day management of Nekton’s Missions and Initiatives for initial 3-6 months (additional time per week/month could be added for this role).
Attributes Business Development Manager at Nekton Foundation
- Proven experience in business development and fundraising in the marine or closely related sector.
- Established an active network of philanthropic, public, and private sector funders of ocean science, conservation, and policy initiatives operating internationally (including a significant interest in ocean policy in East Africa).
- Proven experience in developing organizations and delivering strategic growth. Excellent sales, communication, and public speaking skills.
- An entrepreneurial mindset with outstanding organizational and leadership skills.
- A confident, proactive, and independent self-starter who can work flexibly and responsively in a fast-changing environment.
- Highly organized, detail-orientated, and enjoys problem-solving.
- Have a bold and committed vision for accelerating the scientific understanding and protection of the ocean.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this position, please send your cv with a cover letter explaining why you think you would be a good fit for this role – notably including details of successful fundraising of the ocean or related environmental programs via the button below by 18:00 GMT, 7th April 2023.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Frequently Asked Questions
Important skills include business acumen, strategic thinking, communication, relationship building, negotiation, and understanding of marine conservation.
The role involves identifying growth opportunities, developing strategies, and building relationships with stakeholders and partners to advance the Foundation’s mission.
Qualifications may vary but typically include a bachelor’s degree in a related field, several years of experience in business development or sales, excellent communication and networking skills, and a strong understanding of marine conservation.