We are one of the largest mathematical sciences schools in Australia, and the University of Sydney is the only Australian university to have received the highest rating of 5 out of 5 for research in the mathematical sciences in every Australian Research Council Excellence in Research for Australia assessment to date. The University also hosts the Sydney Mathematical Research Institute (SMRI), which attracts leading mathematical scientists from all over the world to do research with Australian collaborators.
The University of Sydney is welcoming applications for a Postdoctoral Research Associate. The successful applicant will be working in the School of Mathematics and Statistics under the supervision of A/Prof John Ormerod and in collaboration with Prof Samuel Muller and Dr Garth Tarr.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- undertake research in theoretical, methodological and computational statistical methods for complex and high-dimensional data
- publication of research papers
- demonstrate research excellence
- assist with grant writing and publishing original work
- support teaching activities and the supervision of undergraduate and postgraduate students.
To learn more about the School of Mathematics and Statistics click here
Full time 2.5 years fixed term employment, located on the Camperdown Campus at the School of Mathematics and StatisticsOpportunity to contribute to research focused on fast flexible feature selection for high dimensional challenging data and be part of world-class mathematicians and statisticians’ teamBase Salary Level A $95K – $105 p.a. + 17% superannuation
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Postdoctoral Research Associate who has:
- a PhD (or near completion) in statistics or a similar discipline, ideally with experience in Bayesian statistics, regularized regression methods, and statistical model selection
- demonstrated ability to conduct research/scholarly activities under limited supervision.
- the ability and a willingness to collaborate in multidisciplinary teams to contribute to long-term research goals
- excellent communication (written and verbal), organisational, and problem-solving skills with attention to detail
- a strong track record of publishing their research
- the capacity to contribute to the teaching in Statistics and/or Data Science.
Closing date for applications
11.59pm, Sunday 31 October 2021
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
For employees of the University or contingent workers, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Helen Efstathiou, Recruitment Consultant. Recruitment Operations, Human Resources on +61 2 8627 7137 or by email email@example.com
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for
Closing Date: 31 October 2021