At IIT we work enthusiastically to develop human-centered Science and Technology to tackle some of the most pressing societal challenges of our times and transfer these technologies to the production system and society. Our Genoa headquarters are strictly inter-connected with the other 11 centres around Italy and two outstations based in the US for a truly interdisciplinary experience.
You’d be working in a multicultural and multi-disciplinary group, where materials, chemical and biomedical engineers, physicists, chemists, and biotechnology experts collaborate, each with their own expertise, to carry out common research.
The Smart Materials Research line is coordinated by Dr. Athanassia Athanassiou, who has extensive experience in materials science.
The research focuses on the development of polymeric composite materials by combining various synthetic or natural polymers with micro or nanofillers or organic molecules. This includes Green and sustainable composites, Nanocomposites, Smart composite materials for sensing, Surface engineering and adhesion, Multifunctional polymeric foams and aerogels, Smart fabrics and paper, Materials for safe environment, Food packaging, Materials for regenerative medicine, etc. Close collaborations exist with industry, university departments, and other research centers in Italy and abroad.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- the development of sustainable materials with specifically designed chemical and structural properties
- utilization of these materials for the targeted interaction and highly efficient removal of typical and emerging pollutants from water.
- A PhD in one of the following areas with order of preference: Chemistry, Polymer Science, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, and similar disciplines
- Documented experience in materials chemistry or nanomaterials for water purification, in organic and polymeric materials, in polymer nanocomposites, in morphological and spectroscopic characterization techniques.
- A strong publication record
- The ability to properly report, organize and publish research data
- Documented experience in coaching junior scientists
- Good command of spoken and written English
- Experience in the development and characterization of polymeric porous materials such as foams and membranes.
- Good communication skills
- Strong problem solving attitude
- High motivation to learn
- Spirit of innovation and creativity
- Good at time and priority management
- Ability to work in a challenging and international environment
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a highly interdisciplinary environment
- Competitive salary package for international standards
- Private health care coverage (depending on your role and contract)
- Wide range of staff discounts
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- An equal, inclusive and multicultural environment ready to welcome you with open arms. Discrimination is a big NO for us!
- We like contamination and encourage you to mingle and discover what other people are up to in our labs!
- If paperwork is not your piece of cake, we got you! There’s a specialized team working to help you with that, especially during your relocation.
- If you are a startupper or a business-minded person, you will find some exceptionally gifted professionals ready to nurture and guide your attitude and aspirations.
- If you want your work to have a real impact, in IIT you will find an innovative and stimulating culture that drives our mission to contribute to the improvement and well-being of society!
- We stick to our values! Integrity, courage, societal responsibility and inclusivity are the values we believe in. They define us and our actions in our everyday life. They guide us to accomplish IIT mission.
If you feel this tickles your appetite for change, do not hesitate and apply!
Please submit your application using the online form and including a detailed CV, university transcripts, cover letter (outlining motivation, experience and qualifications) and contact details of 2 references.
Application’s deadline: September 30th 2021
We inform you that the information you provide will be used solely for the purposes of evaluating and selecting professional profiles in order to meet the requirements of Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia.
Your data will be processed by Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, based in Genoa, Via Morego 30, acting as Data Controller, in compliance with the rules on protection of personal data, including those related to data security.
Please also note that, pursuant to articles 15 et. seq. of European Regulation no. 679/2016 (General Data Protection Regulation), you may exercise your rights at any time by contacting the Data Protection Officer (phone Tel: +39 010 28961 – email: email@example.com ).