You want to apply your data science knowledge to the basic research questions and societal challenges of our modern world? Our scientists in HDS-LEE address some of the most pressing issues of our time, such as energy transition, climate change and resource scarcity, brain function, drug design, identification of diseases at very early stages.
As Helmholtz School for Data Science in Life, Earth and Energy (HDS-LEE), we aim to educate and train the next generation of data scientists during their doctoral thesis in close contact to domain-specific knowledge and research in three application domains: Life and medical science, earth science, energy systems and material science. Visit HDS-LEE at: https://www.hds-lee.de/
This HDS-LEE PhD position will be located at the newly founded Institute for Advanced Simulation – Data Analytics and Machine Learning (IAS-8) at Forschungszentrum Jülich. At IAS-8 we are convinced that making AI systems reliable is one of the most relevant challenges in data science of the 21st century. If you want to contribute to this societally relevant effort, IAS-8 is the right place for you. We aim at advancing theory and application of data sciences with a focus on image processing and computer vision for imaging as a scientific measurement tool. Our interests range from use-inspired, method-driven theory to application-driven research. We are working on a wide range of data science and machine learning topics at the intersection of machine learning, computer vision, image processing, and scientific applications of imaging.
We are offering from the next possible date a
PhD Position – Uncertainty estimation in deep learning-based solutions for live-cell imaging
- work on uncertainty estimation for deep neural networks targeting at applications form live-cell imaging,
- advance our understanding of the underlying theory, as well as applicability to scientific applications, where explainability, interpretability, and reliability are as important as high accuracy,
- work with experts at the Jülich Supercomputing Centre (JSC) to run your algorithms/tools on large distributed computer systems,
- regularly participate in international conferences to present your own work, and learn about state-of-the-art machine learning and computer vision methods and their applications.
- Excellent Master’s degree in computer science (or a related field), with a focus on computer vision, image processing, or machine learning.
- Solid mathematical background, distinct analytical and numerical skills.
- Very good programming (Python, MATLAB, C++) and computer (Linux, Windows) skills.
- Very good cooperation and communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a team in an international and interdisciplinary environment.
- You share our passion for making AI systems reliable and applying them in societally relevant fields, ideally have done some previous research in this field (e.g., internships, research papers, etc.), and want to make an impact in societally relevant applications
- Excellent knowledge of written and oral English (TOEFL or equivalent evidence)
- High level of scholarship as indicated by bachelor and master study transcripts and two reference letters
The HDS-LEE PhD position will be located at IAS-8, Forschungszentrum Jülich. We offer ideal conditions for you to complete your doctoral degree:
- The opportunity to work with world class technical equipment and infrastructure, innovative software technologies, and fascinating scientific data.
- An exciting working environment on an attractive research campus.
- A highly motivated group as well as an international and interdisciplinary working environment
- Continuous scientific mentoring by your scientific advisors.
- Further development of your personal strengths, e.g. via the comprehensive training programme of the graduate school HDS-LEE https://www.hds-lee.de/
- A structured doctoral degree programme via our doctoral researchers’ platform JuDocs https://www.fz-juelich.de/judocs
- Chance of participating in (international) conferences
- Qualification that is highly welcome in industry
- The doctoral degree will be conferred by RWTH Aachen University.
- 3-year contract with an optional, additional 3-month project setup phase at the beginning.
- 30 days yearly vacation.
- Usual contribution towards compulsory social insurances, i.e. health, nursing care, pension and unemployment insurance.
- Pay in line with 100% of pay group 13 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund) and additionally 60 % of a monthly salary as special payment („Christmas bonus“).
- Information on employment as a PhD student at Forschungszentrum Jülich can be found here http://www.fz-juelich.de/gp/Careers_Docs
Starting date: the next possible date
Please send your application including a statement of research interest, CV, copies of exams, degrees and grades (transcript of records), a copy of your Master thesis (or a draft thereof), published articles or other relevant material such as two letters of recommendation (alternatively you can state two reference providers) in PDF format. If you have any questions about the position, the research group, or anything else, please do not hesitate to contact us. Applications will be reviewed starting from 30. Aug. 2021 and until the position is filled.
Forschungszentrum Jülich promotes equal opportunities and diversity in its employment relations.
We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
The job will be advertised until the position has been successfully filled. You should therefore submit your application as soon as possible. We look forward to receiving your application via our
Questions about the vacancy?
Get in touch with us by using our contact form.
Please note that for technical reasons we cannot accept applications via email.