Applications are invited for Fully Funded Alfred Oscar Capell Scholarships in Australia formally known as A.O. Capell Scholarships.
About University of Melbourne, Australia
The University of Melbourne is a public research university located in Melbourne, Australia. Founded in 1853, it is Australia’s second oldest university and the oldest in Victoria. Its main campus is located in Parkville, an inner suburb north of Melbourne’s central business district, with several other campuses located across Victoria.
Incorporated by the Victoria Colony, the University of Melbourne is one of Australia’s six sandstone universities and a member of the Group of Eight, Universitas 21, Washington University’s McDonnell International Scholars Academy, and the Association of Pacific Rim Universities. Since 1872 various residential colleges have become affiliated with the university, offering accommodation for students and faculty, and academic, sporting, and cultural programs. There are ten colleges located on the main campus and in nearby suburbs.
The university comprises ten separate academic units and is associated with numerous institutes and research centers, including the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health, the Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research and the Grattan Institute. Amongst the university’s fifteen graduate schools, the Melbourne Business School, the Melbourne Law School, and the Melbourne Medical School are particularly well regarded.
Times Higher Education ranked the University of Melbourne 32nd globally in 2020, while the Academic Ranking of World Universities places it 41st in the world (both first in Australia). In the QS World University Rankings 2021, the university ranks 41st globally. Four Australian prime ministers and five governors-general have graduated from the University of Melbourne. Ten Nobel laureates have been students or faculty, the most of any Australian university.
Applications are invited for Fully Funded Oscar Capell Scholarships at the University of Melbourne, Australia.
Established with a bequest from Alfred Oscar Capell available to research students with an outstanding academic record and excellent research potential.
The Fully Funded Alfred Oscar Capell Scholarships is jointly awarded with the Harbison-Higinbotham Research Scholarship and together provide:
- Living allowance of $35,600 per year pro rata (2019 full-time study rate) for up to 2 years for students undertaking a Master by research degree or up to 3.5 years for students undertaking a Doctoral degree. The living allowance may be indexed annually and includes limited paid sick, maternity and parenting leave.
- Relocation grant of $2,000 for students moving from States or Territories other than Victoria or $3,000 for students moving from outside Australia.
To be eligible for Fully Funded Oscar Capell Scholarships, applicants must:
- be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- have applied for and meet the entry requirements for a graduate research degree at the University of Melbourne
- have not already completed a research qualification at the same or higher level as the course for which a scholarship is sought
- not have previously received a graduate research scholarship with similar benefits
These scholarships are awarded based on academic merit. Eligible applicants are scored and ranked according to their academic achievement of their last completed degree and their research potential in their field of study. Factors such as relevant professional experience, refereed publications, specialist medical qualifications or composition of original music may be taken into consideration.
- This scholarship is subject to the Graduate Research Scholarships Terms & Conditions (as amended)
- Commencement of the scholarship can be deferred to a following year
- Applicant must acknowledge the contribution of this scholarship in any published or produced material which relate to the research project for which the scholarship was awarded
- Applicant must provide a brief report on the benefits of the scholarship and give permission for the University to provide the report, your name and course details to the donor
If you have applied for admission to a graduate research degree by 31 October for commencement in the following year, you will be automatically considered for Fully Funded Oscar Capell Scholarships.
Institute Name: The University of Melbourne
Degree/Course: Graduate Research Degree
Last Date: October 31, 2020